The Learning Centre for Hamilton relies solely on volunteers to act as tutors trained in the Orton -Gillingham Approach at no cost to the trainee. Tutors may have a background in education, but it is not a requirement. We always need people willing to join the Learning Centre family to help children acquire the life-long skills of reading and spelling. Tutoring will require a significant commitment of your time, but it will be rewarded by the progress and increased self-esteem a child will experience.
• classroom tutorials, coursework, and practicum observations:
• 45 hours of classroom instruction as trainees progress through nine modules of the program
• 8-10 lesson observations
• quizzes and final exam
• required reading: 4 book reports
• 100 hours of supervised practicum with two children
Upon completing all the requirements, the tutor trainee is recommended for certification as an Orton-Gillingham tutor under the Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation of Canada Learning Centre Program.
Complete and submit the BG2 Tutor application form or BG3 Tutor Trainee application form
• Submit a current resume with references
• Submit a current Vulnerable Sector Check obtained from your local police service
• The Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation will reimburse the fee for this check
• Submit all application materials by email to our office at: email@example.com